I can barely contain myself... Deep breath... David "Bombhead" Burke is to appear in Hollyoaks Freshers!
We can't help but feel his return has happened in some part because of the Bring Back Bombhead campaign that the Official Hollyoaks website started back in March this year. Let's talk you through it...
Monday morning, March 15th 2010:
* The Official Hollyoaks website posted a blog announcing Lee Hunter's return. The news prompted fans to call for the second coming of Lee's parnter in crime, Bombhead.
Monday afternoon, March 15th 2010:
* The Official Hollyoaks website posted a new Hot Topic, 'Which classic character would you bring back?'. The response was clear. Audiences wanted Bombhead back.
* This Morning's soap expert Sharon Marshall tweeted us stating that she also wanted Bombhead back. She should know, she's a soap expert.
Wednesday morning, March 17th 2010:
* We spread the bringbackbombhead word all over our website, Twitter and Facebook. You guys pick up on it and run with it. You run with it faster than Usain Bolt after digesting a bumper pack of Duracell batteries.
Friday morning, March 19th 2010:
* The Official Hollyoaks website compiled a Bombhead's best bits gallery (which was difficult to do because everything he ever did in Hollyoaks was the best!). The gallery was viewed by thousands of people, which, after five years away from the show, confirmed Bombhead's popularity. A popularity that will never wane.
Thursday afternoon, August 26th 2010:
* The Official Hollyoaks website got wind that Bombhead was to appear in Hollyoaks Freshers. We convulsed with excitement. We wrote this blog. We then spoke to Lee Otway, the legend who plays Bombhead. This is what he said...
How was it filming Hollyoaks Freshers?
It was good to be back and working with Alex Carter (Lee Hunter). The scenes we filmed were great fun and that transpires on screen - you just see us having a good time.
Would you like to come back to the main show?
Yeah, I would in all honesty. Playing Bombhead in Hollyoaks Freshers made me remember how good a character he is. The storylines Bombhead had the first time around were fantastic and gave the character a lot of depth. The comedy scenes were what Bombhead were known for and they were certainly what I enjoyed. He was a zany, off the wall character who you could do anything with. He's different to other characters in that way.
I would very much like Bombhead to return even if it were just for a brief spell. I still think there's a lot of comedy there with the character that can be exploited. I really love playing that character and I'd jump at the chance to play him again because he was just so fun.
Since you left Hollyoaks have seen Alex Carter (Lee Hunter)?
We've kept in touch and we speak quite often on the phone. He came over to Sheffield for a few days about three months ago. I've been working on something and wanted Alex's input - knowing how well he works with comedy.
So what is it your working on?
I've written a sitcom with Philip Barron who writes for BBC3. A company called McIntyre Entertainments (responsible for Max & Paddy, Phoenix Nights, Early Doors) have optioned my script and are about to take it to broadcasters. After shooting a pilot last year we've secured finance to shoot the project as a film. The project's called 'That Band' (more details can be found at http://www.thatband.net/ ).
Finally, anything you'd like to say to the fans who've campaigned for your return?
Just thank you! Thank you very much. When I found out about the 'bringbackbombhead' campaign I was over the moon. It's lovely that people still remember the character so many years on and are still fond of him. It meant a lot. I don't know what to say without sounding too over the top - it were lovely!
Watch Bombhead in Hollyoaks Freshers. The first episode airs tonight (Thursday 26th August) at 7pm on http://www.e4.com/hollyoaks/freshers
If you're like us and still want Bombhead back in the main Hollyoaks show keep up the campaigning on our website, Twitter, Facebook... everywhere! #bringbackbombhead